As we say goodbye to summer, our minds begin to fill with pumpkins and sweaters. We’ll miss warm days spent on the Jersey Shore and can’t help but look forward to this new fall season with delicious recipes such as Martha Stewart’s Pumpkin Swirl Brownies – perfect for all occasions.
Pumpkin Swirl Brownies
- 8 Tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus extra for pan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts or other nuts of choice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 9-inch square baking pan or dish. Line bottom of same pan with parchment paper then cover it in a light layer of butter.
- Place chopped chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl. Set the bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth and completely melted.
- Whisk together flour, cayenne pepper, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Use an electric mixer with the paddle attachment to combine eggs, vanilla, and sugar. Beat mixture until fluffy, about 3-5 minutes. Add flour mixture and beat until well combined.
- Divide batter between two medium sized bowls, about 2 cups per bowl. Pour melted chocolate mixture into one bowl and mix together until well combined. In other bowl with untouched batter, stir in vegetable oil, nutmeg, pumpkin, and cinnamon.
- Transfer half of chocolate batter to prepared pan, smoothing top with a rubber or plastic spatula. Add half of pumpkin batter on top. Repeat step to make one more chocolate layer and one last pumpkin layer. Make sure to work quickly so the batters do not set.
- With a table knife or small spatula, gently swirl the batters to create a pretty marbled effect. Top off with a sprinkle of nuts.
- Bake until brownies are set, about 40-45 minutes.
- Let cool in pan and cut into 16 squares.
When our chef tested this recipe, it was hands down delicious. Request it at your next Frogbridge Events Picnic. Plan on making it at home? We’d love to see how it turns out! Add your photo to a comment on our Facebook page.